Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This cup reeks “cheap” from every angle. It is not a homey cup or a cup you would want to curl up with and read a good book. Its primary purpose is low cost functionality. It is plastic, a thin plastic at that. It is clearly designed to be thrown away after a single use. It is not dishwasher safe. This Solo cup cannot hold hot liquids and its’ primary hang-out spot is parties where people can easily write their names on them. As a kid I would associate this cup with drinking soda at family gatherings but now I associate them with college drinking parties. Drinking from these makes me feel like a young risk taker. It has a wide top and a narrower square bottom. There are ridges for your gripping purposes on the side of the cup. Solo is written down the side. This particular one is red, but they come in blue as well.


The cup to the right of my solo cup reminds me of home. This cup would be classified as a mug. I would not be seen with this cup at a college frat party but it is the first thing I grab when I feel like a cup of tea. It is very large and made of thick ceramic. The paint is shiny and mint green. There are pink, blue, and purple flowers painted on the sides of it. The base of the cup is narrow and broadens to a very wide opening at the top. The handle is very thick and sturdy. The cup is heavy in my hand. This cup’s purpose is to hold hot liquids safely. It will not melt and can be put in the dishwasher. I associate this cup with serenity and peacefulness. Rainy days and calm nights are this cup’s ideal settings. I feel mature when I drink from it, like I should be thirty sitting on a front porch swing or writing a book.

2 comments:

  1. I uploaded pictures to this. Anyway it said I did. I don't know why they didn't show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're alright, Jenny. I didn't see the photos, but I believe you. Sometimes these blogging platforms can be frustrating.

    ReplyDelete